15 Summer Beauty Tips & Tricks
15 Summer Beauty Tips & Tricks
There are some year-round beauty essentials that help you effortlessly transition from season to season -- a bold red lip, a fierce cat-eye, and a protective layer of SPF on even the cloudiest of days. Even with these essentials on-hand, summer presents its own unique set of challenges, from painful sunburns to frizzy hair.
Because the hottest months bring different concerns, I’ve put together this handy list of 15 must-follow summer beauty tips and tricks that will help you have your most beautiful season yet.
15 Best Summer Beauty Tips
The most important beauty product in the whole world isn’t a lipstick, an eyeliner, or even a foundation.
No, the most important beauty product is sunscreen.
So many of us love lounging outside in the sun during the sunny summer months, but too much of a good thing can, in fact, be bad. Too much exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light is damaging to your skin, causing skin damage like premature wrinkles, freckles and skin pigmentation, elasticity, and dryness. Additionally, excessive sun exposure and damage greatly contributes to skin cancer.
This is why it’s important to use sunscreen all throughout the year, but especially during the hot summer months. There are ways to protect your skin against sun damage -- read on for tips.
1. Choose the correct type of sunscreen, keeping the SPF in mind. That number tells you how long you can be outside in the sun before you develop a sunburn. An SPF of 15, for example, means you can be in the sun fifteen times longer before you get burned. If you spend a lot of time in the sun, you’re going to want a higher SPF. Remember to reapply throughout the day and to take breaks from being in the sun.
2. Take more than just SPF into consideration -- you also need to ensure the sunscreen offers broad spectrum protection. The product needs to be able to protect your skin from both UVB rays (responsible for sunburns) and deep-penetrating UVA rays (responsible for premature aging, lines, wrinkles, and skin cancer). Reach for a moisturizer like SeneGence Dry Daytime SeneDerm Moisturizer. This delivers all the anti-aging advantages of SenePlex Complex and vitamin E to protect your skin cells from oxidation. It also provides a mechanical shield of sun protection that is equivalent to an SPF 15.
3. Further protect your skin by wearing a foundation that shields against the sun. The SeneGence MakeSense Advanced Anti-Aging Foundation is specially formulated with SenePlex Complex and SeneShield, two of the most advanced anti-aging and skin-protective technologies known today. This must-have foundation is packed full of protective ingredients that prevent sun damage and shield your skin from harmful environmental factors like UV rays and air pollution.
4. Cleanse your skin twice a day. When the air is hot and sticky, your skin may produce more oil than usual, in addition to more sweat. The best summer beauty tips focus on keeping your summer skin matte, yet still hydrated. And that starts with cleansing your skin twice a day with a foaming or a gel-based wash. When you wake up in the morning, wash away the oil and sweat that builds up while you sleep. Then, before bed, remove your makeup and then cleanse your skin. SeneGence SeneDerm Body Wash with SenePlex is a rich, foaming gel wash that gently cleanses your skin without stripping the essential oils. It also contains aloe to soothe and condition your skin, while also restoring proper pH balance. Formulated full of humectants, this body wash helps restore moisture -- both in and out of the shower.
5. Stay moisturized. A good moisturizing routine can do wonders for your complexion, and can better protect your skin during the hot summer months. Your skin is a barrier against the environment and external aggressors like bacteria, and keeping your skin moisturized keeps that barrier functioning properly. Dry skin is damaged skin, so regularly apply a good moisturizer to protect it from summer drying agents like the sun, heat, salt, and chlorine. Use SeneGence SeneDerm Advanced Hydration Body Lotion to keep your skin both healthy and hydrated.
6. Skip the sun and tan with a self-tanner. Reach for SeneGence SeneDerm Self-Tanning Bronzing Coconut Milk to look like you spent hours basking in the sun -- but without exposing your skin to any harmful UV rays.
7. If you’re heading to the beach or pool, don’t shave your bikini line right before you go. This skin is extra sensitive and far more prone to irritation, so removing layers of dead skin cells and then exposing that skin to the harsh sun, salt, dirt, and chlorine? That’s going to lead to angry red bumps, ingrown hairs, and itchy razor burn. Instead, remove the hair several hours before going to the beach or pool.
8. Switch to a slightly darker foundation. As your skin gets more sun-kissed during the summer, you may need a slightly different shade of foundation and concealer to match your summer coloring. You can even opt for a tinted moisturizer that’s a shade darker than you would wear during other seasons; I love SeneGence MakeSense Color Correcting Tinted Moisturizers, which come in several shades and protect against the sun.
9. Use cream-to-powder eyeshadows for flawless looks. SeneGence ShadowSense eyeshadows are water-resistant, smudge-proof, sweat-proof, and beneficial for your skin -- including protection from the sun. They can also be used for lipstick, contouring, highlighting, and filling in brows & beards.
10. Use a primer. The oils, pores, and wrinkles of your skin are known to separate pigments and add texture, making your skin look blotchy and uneven. A primer creates a shield and prevents your foundation and skin’s oils from mixing together. SeneGence MakeSense Silk Pore and Wrinkle Minimizer acts as the perfect primer -- hydrating your skin while smoothing out imperfections, leaving you with flawless skin before you’ve even put on your foundation. Because the hot weather opens up pores and makes them more visible, using a minimizer like this is one of the best summer beauty tips you can follow.
11. Go waterproof. Eyelashes are just tiny hairs, which means they also need to be kept hydrated, nourished, and free of clumps or smears. You can do this by using a waterproof, smudge-proof, sweat-proof mascara that is formulated with good-for-you oils and ingredients, like SeneGence’s LashSense Mascara.
12. Blot or spray your face, but don’t rub it. Remove oils and sweat from your face by lightly touching blotting papers to your skin, rather than rubbing and smearing the oils all over your face. Refresh and rehydrate your skin with refreshing sprays like SeneGence Climate Control -- an absolute life-saver during summer. Climate Control is the ultimate in hydration. This spray delivers pure SenePlex Complex, natural oils, and beneficial ingredients that hydrate and repair skin at the deepest level.
13. Use LipSense. Especially during summer, LipSense lip colors are the way to go: They don’t feel heavy or sticky on your lips, and won’t smear or smudge off when you sweat, swim, or eat. Pair with the LipSense Gloss for a super shiny, “just out of the pool” look, in addition to keeping your pout hydrated and intact for hours -- and coming in plenty of fun, head-turning shades.
14. Protect, hydrate, strengthen, and nourish your hair with the SeneGence HairCovery System. This shampoo, conditioner, and serum will keep your hair and scalp healthy and looking flawless all throughout summer.
15. Keep your beachy waves and style intact while you enjoy your summer activities with a lightweight spray. Reach for SeneGence HairCoveryTM Thickening & Volumizing Holding Spray (mini version) for a nourishing holding spray that fits in your purse. This spray has medium-to-firm hold that keeps your hair flexible while also delivering plenty of beneficial ingredients. This nourishing formula contains ingredients like SenePlex, SenePeptide, Capixyl, and vitamins that all help improve the look and feel of your hair. Use the spray along with the other HairCovery products for volumized, shiny, and healthy hair that looks gorgeous all through summer -- and the rest of the year, too!